Holiday Plants and Dangers Involved

As you prepare to deck your halls, walls, and general surroundings, be aware of a few holiday greens that may be dangerous to your dog.
 
Holly and mistletoe:

Ingesting these festive holiday plants can lead to serious diarrhea and tummy upset.  It's possible that mistletoe may also cause cardiovascular problems.
 
Poinsettias and Lilies:

Both are known to upset Bowser's belly and bowels, but poinsettias are particularly irritating to the mouth and can be poisonous.

Other Plants:

Amaryllis, Christmas cactus, cyclamens and potted Norfolk Island pines are popular gifts during the season, but be sure to keep them out of your pet's reach.  Hanging baskets can work well for some of these plants.  Be sure to check them regularly for dropped leaves, flowers or berries.

Holiday trees:

Keep thirsty pups away from tree water.  It's often mixed with fertilizers, which tend to upset the stomach. And if the water has been sitting for a while, it may harbor potentially harmful bacteria.  Do not put an asprin in the water for the tree, your pet may drink it.  
 
Pine needles:

If swallowed, they can pierce the stomach or intestines.  In some cases, they can be toxic.

Greenery Swags & Wreaths:

Pine, spruce, hemlock, holly and other seasonal greens can be harmful if eaten by a dog or cat.  Be sure they are hung out of your pet's reach and check regularly for fallen berries, needles or cones.  Get rid of greenery as soon as it dries out and starts dropping profusely.

What To Do If Your Pet Is Poisoned

- Don't panic but try to think clearly and work quickly.

- If you know what has poisoned your pet, take a moment to gather a  sample along with any package labeling.  Be sure to take the product container with you to your vet. Also, collect any chewed or vomited material in a zip-lock bag.

- If you witness your pet consuming material that you suspect might be toxic, do not hesitate to seek emergency assistance, even if you do not  notice any adverse effects. Sometimes, even if poisoned, an animal may appear normal for several hours or for days after the incident.

Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435. There is a $55 consultation fee for this service.

The following information will be required when you call:

- the species, breed, age, sex, weight and number of animals involved

- the animal's symptoms

- information regarding the exposure, including the agent (if known), the amount of the agent involved and the time elapsed since the time of  exposure.

If your animal is having seizures, losing consciousness, is unconscious or is having difficulty breathing, telephone ahead and bring your pet immediately to your local veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic.

If necessary, he or she may call the APCC.  Always consult a veterinarian or the APCC for directions on how and when to use any emergency first-aid item.

I hope you find this informative article useful.

Good Health to your Dog!

The Naturally Healthy Dog™

 

 

Filed under: Canine HealthCanine Problems

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!