Top Ten Items Surgically Removed From Pets

Our pets are sure curious, and their curiosity can definitely get them into trouble sometimes.  Especially when they swallow something they shouldn’t have. Have you ever had to have something surgically removed from your pet?

Here are the top ten most common items surgically removed from pets, according to Veterinary Pet Insurance:

Socks
Underwear
Panty Hose
Rocks
Balls
Chew Toys
Corn Cobs
Bones
Hair Ties/Ribbons
Sticks

Other frequently ingested objects include nails, sewing needles and nipples from baby bottles.  But VPI has also received medical records for pets that have swallowed pagers, hearing aids, drywall, snail bait, batteries, rubber bands, toy cars, and sand with bacon grease poured on it.

“It’s no secret that cats are curious and dogs like to chew on things,” said Dr. Carol McConnell, vice president and chief veterinary medical officer for VPI. “Unfortunately, those traits can motivate pets to chew on, bite, or swallow items they shouldn’t.  Some of these objects will pass naturally, but others have a tendency to become lodged in pets’ gastrointestinal tracts, resulting in pain, vomiting, or internal injury.  In those cases, surgery may be a necessity.”

The best thing pet owners can do to prevent costly foreign body removal surgery is keep a clean living space. This includes making sure that personal items are not left on the floor or within easy reach of pets and remaining aware of each pet’s chewing tendencies.

Certain objects may appeal more to some pets than others. Knowledge of a pet’s tastes and tendencies can help pet owners exercise caution when letting a pet near objects that could be accidentally swallowed. Also remember that table scraps can contain excessive grease, bones or other objects not easily digested by pets.

“Most of these incidents occur without the pet owner’s knowledge,” said McConnell.  “Pets can get anxious if left alone and start chewing on objects to relieve boredom or stress.  Never ignore the signs that a pet may have swallowed something inedible: continual vomiting, dry heaving and/or  coughing.  If these symptoms occur, your pet should be examined by a veterinarian.”
 

The Naturally Healthy Dog™

 

 

Filed under: Canine HealthCanine Problems

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!